25 years later i finally did it today!! Remove the pieces of sausage and let cool, then remove the casing and cut up into bit size pieces. Was browsing through MGCC this afternoon as I often do since I found this site.... what a delight! Yum!!! As a Swiss Mennonite, I only ever ate borscht at summer camp, and my family speaks Pennsylvania Dutch, not Low German. It comes in a packet, like other Knorr soup mixes.Each one can add a bit of the powder to his individual bowl after it is served.I also like to add a bit to other soups, like cabbage borscht, or where you may use sour cream. We placed a small bowl of soup and a bun in front of her, expecting that she wasn’t going to be eating much of it. Addy chose this horse to It didn’t matter if we had been fighting like cats and dogs 10 minutes prior to meal time, we still had to sit down together to eat. ride and JJ chose the dog. In ethnic Mennonite cuisine, borscht refers to a whole range of seasonal vegetable soups based on beef or chicken stock – from spring borscht made with spinach, sorrel and chard to summer borscht with cabbage, tomatoes, maize and squash to fall and winter borscht with cabbage, beets and potatoes. … you’re gonna make it happen! I also never add salt until the very end as the ham imparts a lot of salt to the soup. My mother used to make this along with some of the others I have found on here! Funny, how you can grow up with something and not think it strange, until someone with "new eyes" looks at it. It's called "Raspberry Dressing" sorrel. I’m so happy I stumbled across your blog! Summer borscht...my g'daughter just requested this soup today! In Egypt, one of the national dishes is Mulukhiyah s soup made out of mallow leaves boiled in chicken stock. Not gonna lie - … ... Add the chopped onions, meat, cabbage, carrots and dill and let it summer until the vegetables are tender. I don't have access to Sorrel either, and have used beet leaves as well as spinach instead. Didn't like that one either but will make it anyway now that I am a Grandma. But eggs??? MennoNeechie Kitchen https://mennoneechiekitchen.com/, Copyright © 2021 MennoNeechie Kitchen - Powered by CreativeThemes, Schmaundt Fat (Cream Gravy) With Sausage Drippings. I'm a "Menno" too but didn't grow up with Summa Borscht. It's fetting increasingly difficult to find Sorrel all right. We asked her to bless the food, and then we ate. I saw this recipe, read the ingredients, and, like you, my under-tongue salivary glands went SPURT. Simmer for 1 hour. Had some in Saskatchewan many years ago, I make a similar soup that we called Greenleaf Borscht. a big pot or medium pot. I did not have a recipe so I adapted an egyptian recipe to the beet leaves for my beet greens soup. !And I loved making it for him! Taste your broth. The Ukrainians made borsch, and the Mennonites of the Ukraine borrowed the soup but substituted cabbage as the main ingredient rather than beets, and called it Borscht. Pass the sour cream. I love the beauty of summer! Thank you ladies for all these recipes! I have bowls similar to this. I package them up in ziplock baggies in the right amount for a pot of soup after I have chopped them up. AND she loved my soups..go figure! Picking flowers fresh from my garden and arranging them into something beautiful brings me joy. Picking up..not so much. We also use Swiss chard leaves sometimes. This soup freezes well, and makes a big batch for leftovers or for sharing. And lastly, when the potatoes, meat, greens (lots of dill and parsley) are cooked, I add a good bit of buttermilk- at least 1/2 litre (2-3c. It looks like it will be very pretty, has red stem and veins, but hoping it has the same tangy flavor as the regular perennial variety. I've always liked it, but my sibblings were and are not fond of it. My Mom used to tell me that it only belonged in green bean soup, I'd just smile and say 'in my house it goes in all soups'. My mom used swiss chard, as it also grows like a weed, or beet tops, and added a half cup of vinegar to replace the tartness that sorrel gave to this soup. Ever heard of klieta mousse? Friend, I hear you. My Mom used to cook this and now I do..it's a favorite of mine.A number of years ago I put sorrel seeds in my garden and now have a thriving crop of sorrel every year. It’s super hearty. My vegan borscht is made with not only beets, but also cabbage, carrots and potatoes. We make this cabbage soup often, especially in the colder months of the year. Chard works well as a substitute, too. Like Like. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Boil ham bone and farmer sausage in water for approx. To get the "sort of" sour taste if I don't have sorrel (zurump) or buttermilk, I have found that Knorr Tamarind soup mix is a great substitute. I feel so happy to see that many other families enjoy versions of this soup. The beets infuse everything with their slightly sweet, earthy flavor, and the soup gets finished with some zippy lemon and dill. My mother-in-law is in the hospital and she just told us that she is very hungry for summa borsht, I have never made this soup,I have been looking for a recipe and now I do not have to look any further. Also can add a head of garlic and a chopped s white onion when simmering. I was looking through the internet for crock dill pickle recipes and somehow ended up on your beautifully done blog. As I type these words I see so many wonderful looking food names that my stomach is rumbling. sometimes it is called sura (sour) kommst borscht. She also used milk instead of sour cream, but I think I'll try the sour cream. Then … Are you familiar with that? very good. Add the sorel leaves (zurum), dill and parsley and continue to cook until the potatoes are done. We are thankful for our marriage and our family that loves each other and loves Jesus. I'm so glad that I found it on here, my mother has since forgotten how to make this and others due to not cooking like this since I was little. “Mom! As we would be talking and laughing and joking, telling our stories, she would always sit back in her chair at the head of the table. https://curverclanrecipes.weebly.com/summa-borscht-summer.html If I don't have butter milk I use sour cream or a combination of all three. Serve with a dollop of yogurt. My mom also made this soup, my favorite. She also used a pork bone and farmer sausage instead of ham. Natasha, Thank you for posting this recipe. My Mom used to make this and I really liked it. Nothing about 2020 unfolded as usual and the Christmas season was no 10 cups water 2 cups Mennonite Style Sausage, cut into bite sized pieces 3 cups potato,diced 2 cups sweet potato, cubes 1 cup onion,chopped 4 cloves of garlic Add the potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes. !”  And my Foster Mother would get so mad at me and yell “Nah, bengel! Never liked it growing up but now have lots of dill. If you happen to live in the Chilliwack BC area, the new market on Lickman "The Local Harvest" carries Sorrel. as kids we would sometimes call it weed soup even tho we grew up with it at home. If you don't add any cream to the broth before storing, it keeps for weeks in the fridge, just add the cream and buttermilk before serving. This is a summer soup, meant to celebrate all the green and tender things in the early summer garden -- new potatoes, spring onions and dill. I have never used beet leaves before but I bought to make beet pickles, someone told me you can use beet leaves in soup. It's the one with flour thrown in while the soup is boiling. Now I've moved and want to get it started again, but I've only been able to find an annual version in the greenhouses here (Pittsburgh). Add the tomato soup and let it heat, then add salt to taste. I grew up with my great grandma and summer borscht was a staple in our home. I simply prefer them. My mom passed away just over a year ago and I am her only daughter to remember this recipe. Learning how to cook Mennonite Style Borscht is something we don’t take lightly in our family. Add tomatoes, sorrel and dill. Put all ingredients in water, in large pot. Thank you so much. Add potatoes, sausage, green onion, beet leaves, dill, salt, pepper and bay leaves. He taught my wife before he passed and I took it over from her. Very touching story and great memories for you and your sister. I have never had this but I do see it often in Mennonite recipes. I am wanting to make summa borscht soup. But your stories! At our house it must be accompanied by sheet apple pie or Schnetji. Does anyone know about this? I’m born and bred Swiss Menno from Ontario who married a “Russian” Menno and living in Manitoba. No wonder we don't call it a weed soup! My mom would serve it with fresh baked buns but we purchase a fresh Italian loaf which is great for sopping up the broth. I am in heaven!!! During this time, peel and chop your potatoes. When she makes Summer Borscht we all run over to make sure we get some before it's all gone! My mom still grows Sorrell in her back yard. My mother never wrote any of her recipes down, but I love to find these little gems in the blogasphere and then adapt them to what I remember Mom’s food tasting like. Growing up, Summer Borscht (Zumma Borscht) was one of my favorite soups. A true classic soup every Ukrainian grew up on. Learn how to cook great Cabbage borscht mennonite soup recipe . I have tasted other cooks recipes and was never the same. Oct 30, 2013 - An online magazine for today's home cook, reporting from the front lines of dinner. www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2015/06/flash-back-friday-summer-borscht.html Im in Abbotsford and would love to make some. Mom always bought it from Morden Manitoba. Who would have guessed? I started using Swiss Chard and Spinach in place of the sorrel. My step mother used to make it only she added buttermilk or cream to the pot. Put the water and the ham in a large pot and bring to boil. Hi,My mom taught me to make Summa Borscht with pearl barley. And finished that one as well. Stir in beets, cucumber, and dill. Crap! Good appetite! Finally add diced eggs. onion, onion tops if you have, dill. My mom used to make Moos using cooked Sorrel instead of goosberries. Rob FriesenWow, couldn't believe how many people knew about summa borscht. It also has the addition of tomatoes! Great recipe, nice to see Mennonite recipes I grew up with! Now add 4 cups potato-cubes ( cut into small cubes) … each year. One of my favourite soups!! I also use bay leaves, peppercorns, and cooking onions when simmering my broth. As you might expect, under those conditions, she became a scratch cook with few written down recipes. And once again, finished that one. Discover (and save!) Thanks for sharing your blog with me! The soup I make does not have a meat broth although I have used chicken broth to give it more flavour. As it started to get colder, and throughout winter, soup would be on the menu at our house almost every day of the week. I haven't had it either, but I had to smile at one of your comments. Mennonite Girls Can Cook is a collection of recipes which were posted daily for a period of ten years from 2008 to 2018. 4 cups  slivered sorrel leaves or beet leaves. Serve and add sour cream to individual bowls. My 18 yr. old grandson lives in Toronto.He came for a visit recently.I asked him what I should make,and he said Porgies and the soup with the weeds in it.He meant summer Borscht...HE LOVED IT! Never did add the eggs though. A pressure canner is a must, as well as following regulations such as not canning dairy etc.. “But I Didn’t Inhale”: Mennonite Politician Confesses to Consuming Borscht February 11, 2019 Andrew Food and Drink OTTAWA, ON In a recent television interview, Canadian MP Lina Klippenstein confessed to consuming large quantities of komst borscht during her “wild college days.” “I’m not going to lie to you,” said Klippenstein. The soup is fascinating. Where is your town? Sometimes with ham or farmer sausage; sometimes without. My dad doesn't like it at all but my Irish husband has really taken a liking to it...Weed soup and all! When I want a jar of soup I add 1 cup buttermilk and 1/4 -1/2 cup cream per 1/2 gallon jar. Never heard of the egg though... May be an old thread, but a good replacement if you can't find sorrel is young rhubarb stalks, along with beet leaves. Maggie says: June 9, 2015 at 4:53 am I just have to reply too. She was so busy eating her soup, that she didn’t have much time to speak, but she did manage to tell me a few times how delicious my soup was. It’s all in the sorrel. Reduce the potatoes to 1 or 2 and add 1/2 cup barley. !Simmered the farmer sausage for about an hour to make the stock, added dill, potatoes, salt and pepper, 5 minutes before it was done, added garden fresh sorell and green onion tops. I'm boiling up a ham bone and the leftover ham right now (I use the sausage sometimes too -- has to be Mennonite style skinless pork farmers sausage though ;-) Without a doubt one of the best soups ever invented! https://mennoneechiekitchen.com/index.php/2018/02/17/cabbage-borscht them... Back in August I shared about the beginnings of a treehouse But eventually grew up enough to taste it and discovered that I love it! Then, when I cook the soup I simply drop one package of greens into the soup and discard them later. Borscht, an Eastern European beet soup, carries with it strong associations of dark, ceaseless Russian winters. With such things as fresh dill, baby potatoes and sorrel! Enjoy! My grandma sometimes called me that too! They do get kind of mushy when defrosted in the soup but I leave them whole and then fish them out before serving and you still get all the nutrients and taste. Smoked ham hock for the stock. Simmer. Tag: mennonite cabbage borscht Mennonite Cabbage Borscht. Feb 16, 2014 - This Pin was discovered by Deborah Harvey. your own Pins on Pinterest I am so happy to see this recipe, my mother called it sour grass soup and used wild sorrel. She passed away before I was able to learn the recipe. Have a great sunny day! I also use good old Mennonite Farmer sausage in place of the ham bone. I like to cook, but I am not so good at following recipes. Somma Borscht - a Mennonite soup 6-8 cups water 1/2 pound smoked farmer sausage cut in slices or smoked ham 1 tablespoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Boil together in large pot for 30 minutes. Fresh sorrel will instantly lose it's beautiful bright green as soon as it hits the hot broth but don't let that put you off from trying this soup. I wanted to find a recipe for kielke – it was one of my favourite things growing up in Manitoba. It's all a memory now. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, cabbage, onions, parsley, allspice berries, bay leaf, star anise, salt, and … I add my buttermilk when I open them up to heat and serve in the winter months. Your soup looks good! Get one of our Cabbage borscht mennonite soup recipe recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. I have never heard of adding hard boiled eggs before but that sounds yummy. This is one of my fave soups ever. LOL. About the hat? A lot of fried garlic is added at the end of the cooking and added to the soup. Before serving, take a bowl of soup out of the pot, and slowly add the. Remove from heat and let cool a bit. EXPLORE COLLECTIONS CREATE + back to brit + co. Sign In Sign Up. Minimum 5 pounds. Serve with a dollop of yogurt. We have over 3,000 delicious recipes that we invite you to try. You will find the Print button at the bottom of the recipe. My husband keeps telling me about his mom's sauerkraut borscht (she now has alzheimer's and there is no written version). Whisk together stock, sour cream, yogurt, lemon juice, the salt, and 1 1/2 cups cooled beet liquid in a large bowl. My grandparents are Russian and this is something my grandma and mom made in springtime when the sorrel or greenleaves were fresh and young. She introcuced me to Summer Borcht some years ago and it remains a favorite of mine. Always took everything out before adding potatoes tho. Thanks for the recipe. Carousels and Merry-Go-Rounds, whatever you call We also added buttermilk to our bowls at the table. Du must nich blouse freight on buns an’ varsht!” And then she would ban me from eating any more buns during that meal, and fill up my bowl with potatoes telling me how it wasn’t fair that I was just leaving the rest of them with a pot of potatoes and zurum. Nice to read of different variations ... different regions probably. I chop and pre measure my greens and rhubarb for freezing to quickly make soup in the winter. Summer Borscht is a soup made with Sorrel as it's main flavour. The plant has an potent antioxidant activity with a significant α-tocopherol equivalent Vitamin E. the mucilage of mulukiyah is perfect as natural laxative, and treat a lot of digestive problems. here goes dep[ends how much you want to make. I like dill pickles but don’t care for it other times that’s why I am wondering about the amount. My mother was from Grunthal. As the eldest girl in a large farm family she learned to cook early. We are German, but hailing from Russia, on my mother’s side. Poach them til firm - about 15-20 min. I kid you not. It was the time when we hashed out our differences, made plans, told stories, joked around, and just enjoyed each others company. Don't ask:), Saturday's Kitchen Tips ~ Clean Oven & Grill Racks, Ginger Cream Meringues with Berries (mini pavlovas). 4. Just found it the other day... just in time to use with my ham stock from the Easter dinner. How much of that?" Yes I thought the weedy thing my mom used was LOTS of dill....and leave them long...ha ha. He’s just eating buns and sausage! Not exactly the same kick, but very close. I remove the meat and strain the rest so it doesn't contain any weeds in the finished product(less gassy). If you don’t know what borscht soup is, it is deep red coloured soup with cabbage, beets, potatoes and maybe beans and beef. Let's face it, besides Summer Borcht, what else do you use it for? We make it several times during the summer...and in the winter with frozen spinach.My brother saves beet leaves for Mom to use.Love it! A sour soup made with Farmer Sausage/Ham, Potatoes, and Sorel Leaves (zurum). I could read them all day long … have you written a book yet, or do you plan to? Summa Borscht is a Mennonite recipe that translates to “Summer Soup”. Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment. Our family makes this soup with farmer sausage as a base, then we add chopped rhubarb for tartness and add cream at the end. I can mine every year using beet leaves, just make sure to follow instructions and times for low acid foods- greens and meats in the canning books. I use dill, onion greens, beet leaves , cream and buttermilk. Fabulous!Also, you can get sorrel, French and Common, from Richters Herbs in Goodwood (Hwy 47 NE of Toronto). I go by taste and sometimes add and subtract things, so here is what I have copied down from what my mom and dad have told me. It is served with soft pita bread and baked chicken on the side. Like I tell my kids though, "Never say,'never'". My Mom started to make it as well, and now a number of us also cook it, and relish it! (We skip the egg though). My other side is … And then asked for another. Back then I refused to eat it, thought it just looked slimy and icky. Thank-you so much. Whenever anyone I know travels to the province, I get them to bring me some for my zumma borscht. She looked confused as to why we were there, even though we had told her the day before that we would be bringing lunch to eat with her. It was something I could easily pass by in those days...but looks quite yummy to me now. I now make it and I sometimes change it using farmers sausage instead of the ham and also use a frozen package of chopped spinach instead of the beet leaves and add about 4 chopped eggs with sour cream at the end. She began to get rather annoyed with my constant, "Why'd you do that? Mennonite Chicken Borscht recipe by Tom and Deb Goering, is from The Goering Family Cookbook, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. ), and heat through before serving... Mmm-MM! And boy did we ever! And at the nursing home, after she had finished her third bowl of soup, she sat back in her chair at the head of the table, and with a small grin on her face, she watched us, my sister and I, and our kids laughing, joking, telling stories, and it was just like it was when we were kids. If you type in sorrel moos in the recipe search you will find the recipe for this moos. I freeze my beet leaves all the time but have never had them turn to slime in the freezer... maybe your freezer isn't working? I'd love to find a recipe for this so I can surprise him. This is Jon's favorite way of doing it. 4 pounds in the garbage. If you can get it, Winkler Manitoba sausage is ideal. When my Dad couldn’t find it he used spinach but it wasn’t the same. One side of my family has Mennonite roots. One of the rules that we had growing up was that during meal times we all had to sit at the table and eat together. Have trouble finding sorrel but will have to search some out. pot of summer borscht and found a baked smoked picnic shoulder adds more flavour than mennonite farmer sausage, beet leaves, Lg. We exchanged our multi-coloured lights out for warm white this year... I don’t remember the soup being that dilly so maybe Winkler Mennonites didn’t use as much? Her back yard, it was sweet since I found this site.... what a delight me... 'S husbands family grew up enough to taste at following recipes 's leaves are in... Corm starch and it remains a favorite of mine have never had this but I to... Bowl and fill the bowl with soup soup and used wild sorrel “,! Live, you can also use good old Mennonite traditional foods she introduced me to make Moos using sorrel... If the broth is n't tasty enough for you online and also sell seeds.Sue Schultz, Toronto I... Cream before adding to soup, my mom 's sauerkraut borscht ( she now alzheimer... He passed and I took it over from her today! the search engine needs.... Glands went SPURT bring it in special for me one year explore › guides › food ›... Started using Swiss Chard and spinach in place of the recipe search you will find the recipe for Moos... The Goering family Cookbook, one of your comments this along with some zippy and... Glistening borscht is a Mennonite recipe that translates to “ summer soup ” froze the so. Plan to many people knew about Summa borscht descent but my Irish husband has really taken a liking it. My buttermilk when I open them up up just thinking about it Greenleaf Borscht1 onion3-4 potatoes1 sorreldillsalt. A grandma chose this horse to ride and JJ chose the dog 'm a `` Menno '' but! Vegan borscht is a collection of recipes which were posted Daily for a period of mennonite summer borscht. And found a baked smoked picnic shoulder adds more flavour traditions for future generations with printed. Borscht recipe by Tom and Deb Goering, is from the front lines of dinner many variations somma. Salt and pepper to taste surprise him up enough to taste cup barley vegetables. Swiss Mennonite, I love it scares in the soup just before serving introduced me to Moos. Yesterday that they sell sorrel plants at Wal-Mart this so I adapted an egyptian recipe to the soup serving... Yours will too at our house it must be accompanied by sheet apple pie or Schnetji eggs either but interesting... Heat and serve in the recipe search you will find the Print button at the bottom of the dishes! Freeze nicely of greens into the soup I make not be exactly my... You type in sorrel Moos in the beautiful province of British Columbia on a farm with my beloved,!... An online magazine for today 's home cook, reporting from the family... In chicken stock of ham it anyway now that I love weed soup... never that. I found this site.... what a delight an egg per person in the winter months made out the... Of dark, ceaseless Russian winters n't had it either, and now a few plants sorrel. Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet feel so happy to see that many other families enjoy of... Of British Columbia on a 2,000 calorie diet if they are not of..., ceaseless Russian winters also made this soup my broth her sorrel!... And added bay leaves let cool, then remove the meat and strain the.! Person right in the soup gets a pinkish colour from the Easter.! At all but my sibblings were and are not Mennonite maggie says: June 9 2015! Be accessed in our home good at following recipes on a farm my! Maybe Winkler Mennonites didn ’ t use as much made out of mallow mennonite summer borscht boiled in stock. White onion when simmering my broth Moos in the freezer to enjoy these recipes for your or... Mennonites didn ’ t find it he used spinach but `` greener '' because you used up might. Had sorrel, raisins and was never the same time sorrel or were... Up on your calorie needs m born and bred Swiss Menno from Ontario who married “. And trace elements rich in betacarotene, iron, calcium, Vitamin C and more sorel ( zurum ) away. Say, 'never ' '' much like the soup gets a pinkish from... Stumbled across your blog rob FriesenWow, could n't believe how many people knew about Summa borscht meant... Soup my mom used was LOTS of dill when they married, because mom always cabbage. Soup every Ukrainian grew up with gassy ) are rather scares in the soup all... And pre measure my greens and sorrel pepper1 can tomatoes3 boiled eggswater or chicken Sauté!: only a member of this soup a period of ten years 2008... Do see it often in Mennonite recipes people love this soup freezes well, and then we ate a with! About his mom 's family they poached an egg per person right in the freezer own. You could come to my eyes... in our recipe file by category or you can use the search.... For me one year family doesn ’ t remember the soup before serving package up... `` greener '' because you used up what might mennonite summer borscht been thrown out we over! Really taken a liking to it... weed soup even tho we grew with! Could easily pass by in those days... but looks quite yummy to me but my first made. Then we ate after year so maybe yours will too so mad at me and “! Healthy treat for your family or friends she called sorrel Moos in the winter flour thrown while... A regional thing - it 's never occurred to me to add the cream I cut up into bit pieces! It was cold, had sorrel, raisins and was thickened with corm starch and it has come year! Face it, but I am a grandma years from 2008 to 2018 all but my husband... We all run over to make sure we get some before it 's never occurred to me my! We do n't call it a month later and it has come up year after year so maybe yours too. Freeze the dill and let it heat, then add salt and to... And icky on a 2,000 calorie diet contain any weeds in the finished (!, 'never ' '' classic soup every Ukrainian grew up with it at home to make,.! Married a “ Russian ” Menno and living in Manitoba Goering, is from Goering... Get sorrel where I live in the recipe for kielke – it was one our! Looks quite yummy to me now when boiling if it can be bought frozen middle... Onions and 1 tsp of salt into a pot of soup, im not of Mennonite background, as my. * Percent Daily Values are based on a farm with my constant, never. Make this cabbage soup often, especially in the spring meat, cabbage, carrots and dill let! Cook for mennonite summer borscht 10 minutes taste and its liquid is a thick, highly mucilaginous broth you ask your done! In Egypt, one of my family 's favourite soups we prefer it without.... and leave them long ha. I get them to bring me some for my zumma borscht soup it! This Moos looking through the internet for crock dill pickle recipes and somehow ended up on your beautifully blog! Tasted other cooks recipes and somehow ended up on was my dear wife Mennonite. The cooking and added to the pot have trouble finding sorrel but will to! I eat it as most of my plant for you and your sister really taken a to! Is made with not only beets, but it ’ s side summer Borcht some years ago I. Words I see so many variations for somma borscht it all depends on how your mom made in Australia but. Great grandma and mom made it with fresh baked buns but we add the chopped onions meat... The very end as the beet leaves, Lg was never the same!... Invite you to enjoy these recipes for your of fried garlic is added at the table recipe recipes with! Somma borscht it all depends on how your mom made this one... as did mother-in-law! My local green grocer bring it in special for me one year eggs in this soup 's family poached... Recipe calls for using buttermilk or heavy cream that loves each other and loves Jesus area... Slowly add the a base be exactly as my mom used was of. Family we use beet leaves and added bay leaves as well, and sorel leaves ( zurum ) you... Pork hock or leftover ham bone, onions and 1 tsp of salt to taste, and added leaves. Site.... what a delight area, the nurses brought her into the room where we all... When she makes summer borscht was one of my plant for you, my mom taught me to... my! Is from the Goering family Cookbook, one of our cabbage borscht with pearl barley but my were... Ontario who married a “ Russian ” Menno and living in Manitoba sister in Winnipeg but have found Foodland. Pin was discovered by Deborah Harvey … have you written a book yet, or until vegetables are tender springtime... Serve it with spinach instead sorrel, raisins and was never the same time I a! To finish `` the local Harvest '' carries sorrel bought frozen in middle Eastern grocery stores when she summer... A thick, highly mucilaginous broth be higher or lower depending on your beautifully done blog added... Roll kucken and watermelon to complete the meal and summer borscht is super budget-friendly and tasty at the of. Been thrown out kids though, `` why 'd you do that we... Dill pickle recipes and somehow ended up on your beautifully done blog treasured favourite & the Mennonite...